At the start of World War II, the United States Army acquired a defunct motion picture studio at 35th Avenue and 35th Street in Astoria, Long Island City, Queens, New York, taking over  in February 1942.  The studio became the Signal Corps Photographic Center, later Army Pictorial Center, home to filmmakers and still photographers who covered the war and who produced countless training films.

"We had everything calculated," said Nazi Field Marshal Von Keitel after WWII, "except the speed with which the Allies were able to train their troops ... our major miscalculation was in underestimating their quick and complete mastery of film education."

(Updated February 8, 2019.)

Army Pictorial Center from the air, the heart of Long Island City, Queens, New York.  Just visible in the upper edge of the photo is the East River and Manhattan.  The main stage is in the building labeled 1.  The street running in front of the columned entry to the main stage from upper left to lower right is 35th Avenue.  The cross street that runs along the upper left side of the studio complex, from lower left to upper right, is 35th Street.



1 - Headquarters and motion picture studio

2 - Television studio

6 - Film depository

12 - Film storage

13 - Film processing laboratory (now the American Museum of the Moving Image)

34 - Film chemical mix and control

23 - Film storage

24 - Barracks with mess hall

S-25 - Offices and supply storehouse

S-26 - Post Engineer and Printing offices

S-27 - Post Engineer shops

s-28 - Provost Marshal office

(Updated January 22, February 8, 2019, and October 3 and 8, 2020.)



Help Requested
Help Requested

Personnel Roster




APC on the Web

After APC

Other Photo Units